Italian panini is usually identified by the grill marks seared into the bread. The cooking process entails pressing the bread between two hot grill plates, which sears it and smooshes the ingredients in a whole world of melty deliciousness. Depending on personal tastes and eating culture, these paninis are made diversely. Some of these combinations include cheese, meat, and vegetables sandwiched between two slices of Italian bread, and others may contain veggies of different kinds.
Tips and Tricks for Making Italian Grilled Sandwiches
To make the classic Italian sandwich known as panini, the following are some easy tips that can help make this a success.
- Choose the proper bread. It is best to use bread that can take the heat involved in making this sandwich. Therefore, Italian breads like baguettes and focaccia are the best choices. Also, they can hold up better during the grilling process.
- Heat. To make your sandwich perfect and nice, you need heat. So, ensure that you preheat your grill before putting your panini on. This gives it better and more visible grill marks.
- Get the Crunch. It is possible to get maximum crunch on the sides of your panini. To achieve this, brush melted butter or olive oil on the outside of the bread. Also, if you wish to include wet ingredients like tomatoes in your panini, layer them at the center. Then, place the meat and/or cheese on either side to prevent drowning the bread.
- Keep the Fillings Contained. Resist the urge to bombard your sandwich with so many fillings if you wish to prevent them from spilling out while it cooks. Ensure that the fillings are maintained to a respectable minimum, especially if you’ve got cheese in there. Also, you can wrap your sandwich in parchment paper to help keep everything together before placing it on the grill.
Lastly, you don’t need to pressure yourself too much if you have no panini press. You can always improvise with different tools like:
- A stove top with a grill. With this, you can grill one side at a time until you achieve the desired result.
- You can also imitate the traditional press by putting heavy utensils on the top of the panini, like various plates or a very heavy pan enough to make a strong indention.
- Also, you can cook your panini on an outdoor grill or even a frying pan. However, it won’t show the grill marks.
- A waffle iron is another way to go about this. Place the sandwich in the waffle iron, close the lid, and press it down with a heavy skillet.
Best Panini Recipes
Some of the top-rated panini recipes that you can try include:
- Ham and Pear Panini
- Turkey and Bacon Panini with Chipotle Mayonnaise
- Chicken Pesto Paninis
- Turkey Avocado Panini
- Tuna Panini Melt
- Deluxe Pizza Panini
Bricco Salumeria has the best Italian sandwiches because they pay attention to details and use the freshest ingredients to make the most delicious panini. All you need is a trial to convince you and keep you wanting more. Visit us in the North End today to try these delicious sandwiches for yourself!