Sunflower bread is one of the best examples of healthy snacks. The bread is made from wheat flour, sunflower seeds, olive oil, or refined coconut oil and then baked until it is semi-crisp. One of the strongest points of sunflower seed bread is that it contains nutrients such as omega-3, omega-6, and omega-9 fatty acids, essential amino acids, carbohydrates, fiber, iron, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, and lecithin.
This recipe takes about 30 minutes to prepare, producing about 15 pieces of sunflower bread.
- 300 g whole wheat flour
- 10 g baking powder
- 75 g sunflower seeds
- 25 ml extra virgin olive oil or refined coconut oil
- 100 ml water
- 15 ml maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Sift the whole wheat flour and add it to a bowl along with the baking powder, salt, and ⅔ of the sunflower seeds and mix. Sifting the flour makes it easier to mix without forming lumps. However, once it comes to kneading the dough, you should add the bran back to avoid losing its nutritional value.
- Add oil, syrup, and warm water to the mixture in the bowl and knead to consistency.
- Place the dough on a clean, smooth surface and keep kneading until the dough forms a ball.
- Place the dough on vegetable paper and use a rolling to roll it out until it has a uniform thickness of about 5 mm. Alternatively, you can cover the dough and let it rise until it has doubled. After that, you can cut it into loaves of bread.
- Spread the remaining sunflower seeds uniformly on the surface of the rolled-out dough. Sprinkle a little salt on top of the dough, then roll it out again so that the sunflower seeds and salt adhere to the dough. If shaped into loaves, then roll the dough into the sunflower seeds.
- Place the dough on a baking tray while it is still on the vegetable paper. Cut the dough into 2 cm wide and 10 cm long pieces. If shaped into loaves, you should place them into greased loaf pans.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees, then place the baking tray in the preheated oven. You can preheat the oven before cutting the bread to save time. Bake for about 12 minutes, remove the baked bread, and serve after cooling. For sunflower loaf bread, heat the oven to 3750 and bake for 35 – 40 minutes before removing the bread to cool.
Sunflower bread is a healthy and versatile snack that works great for vegans and non-vegans alike. The bread is not only nutritious, but there are various recipe options on how to make it fit your palate better. You should look into how best to prepare sunflower bread to fit your tastes and maintain its nutritional advantage. Bricco Salumeria offers sunflower bread as a part of our delicious catering, sandwich, and pastry dining options – visit us in the North End to see more!